Looking for a quiet space to write in Los Angeles? Apply now for our FREE Fellowship to theOFFICE and you could win 6 months of a Premium Membership with 24/7 access to the space. If you’re a local, up-and-coming writer who’s committed to your craft, this is for you!
theOFFICE is a quiet, communal workspace in Santa Monica, CA in business for over 15 years. Our members are working screenwriters, novelists, journalists and other creatives, all committed to showing up and getting the work done. We know finding a quiet, inspiring workspace can be a challenge, especially for up-and-coming writers with limited funds; hence, the idea for a free fellowship – something we’ve offered every year since 2013.
It’s easy. You send us a sample of your best piece of writing along with a short email explaining why this fellowship is right for you. Our judges select a winner who will receive 6 months of free 24/7* access to the space. This is equivalent to a Premium Membership, the highest level of membership we offer, worth upwards of $2700. Winner gets their own door code to access the space even when staff isn’t here. You want to write at 2AM on a Wednesday night? The space is yours. You also get all the other perks of membership including unlimited coffee/tea, a locker for storage, Wifi, ergonomic Aeron workstations and all the peace and quiet you need to get the job done.
This year’s fellowship starts May 1st and runs through October 31st, 2019. It is completely free to enter. The winner will be announced the last week of April. Open to all up-and-coming writers who are looking to kick their productivity into overdrive. Think of this as your own writer’s retreat right here in the city!
We’ve got three of our longstanding, rockstar members here at theOFFICE to serve as this year’s judges – Jill Cargerman, David Gleeson and Claire Martin – prolific writers from the worlds of tv, film and journalism.
To enter, here’s what we need from you…
- An email with your contact information: Full name, phone, and email address. We will contact the winner via email.
- In the body of the email, please briefly explain why you need this fellowship, what you hope to gain from it and what project(s) you’ll be working on in the coming months. We want to know you’re serious about this. Don’t apply unless you’re confident you will be making use of the space over the next 6 months.
- A 10 page pdf writing sample of your work. Attach this to the email. Your best 10 pages. Do not submit pages that need to be set up or explained. Send 10 pages that stand alone. Only pdf submissions please. All other attachments will be deleted.
Email to: theOfficeFellowship@gmail.com by March 31st, 2019. That’s it. You’re done!
Some important points to remember:
- Do your research on theOFFICE. Don’t submit if you’re not local, if you’re not sure you’ll be available, if you don’t like writing in a room with others. If you live on the eastside and hate the commute, this isn’t right for you. If you don’t flourish in a quiet space, skip it. We want this to be of major value to the winner. Serious submissions only, please.
- Come try out the space first to make sure it’s a good fit for you. If you’ve never been, we offer a FREE WEEK to all newcomers. It’s based on day-of availability (we’re fitting you in around members), so call/email before heading over, on the day, to confirm. If you’ve been to our old space and want to test out the new space, we can give you 1 free day.
- All forms of writing accepted. Submit 10 pages of your screenplay, pilot, stage play, prose, nonfiction, memoir, poetry, blog pieces, etc. We’ll read it all.
- By “up-and-coming” we mean you can have no feature film credits as a writer on IMDb (short films are okay) and no more than 1 hour of television credit as a writer on IMDb. For authors, we just want to make sure you’re not someone with a three book deal and money to spare. If you’re close to your big break but not quite there, this is for you.
- DEADLINE TO ENTER IS MARCH 31, 2019. No submissions accepted past midnight PST.
- You must have sole writing credit for the sample pages you submit. This fellowship is for one (1) free premium membership and is non-transferable.
- theOFFICE staff will NOT be able to assist you with the fellowship, so please DO NOT call, email, or drop by with fellowship queries. (Staff is available for general office questions only.) If you have fellowship questions, please email theOfficeFellowship@gmail.com.
- Current members of theOFFICE are not eligible.
- Winner will be notified and announced in late April.
This is an opportunity to take your craft and career to the next level. If you are looking for a space to be inspired, a space to write with the big guns, a space to get it done, submit now. We look forward to reading your work!
*theOFFICE is closed to all members on Mondays 6-11PM, due to an outside rental. Otherwise the space is yours.
One thought on “2019 Fellowship to theOFFICE”
Comments are closed.