It’s that time of year again… We’re beyond excited to announce that we are once again offering a FREE 6-MONTH FELLOWSHIP to theOffice. theOffice is a quiet, communal workspace in Brentwood, CA right across from the Country Mart. Our members get free coffee & tea, wifi, Aeron chairs and peace of mind, all in the company of likeminded writers.
The fellowship works like this:
You send us an example of your best piece of writing along with why you want this. We select one winner who will receive 6 months of free 24/7* access to the space. This is equivalent to a Premium Membership, the highest level of membership we offer, worth upwards of $2500. Winner gets his/her own door code to the space with the ability to come and go even when staff isn’t here. You wanna write at 2AM on a Wednesday night? Sure, come on over!
The fellowship starts April 1st and goes through September 30th 2014. It is completely free to enter. Winner will be announced the last week of March. Contest is open to all new/aspiring/struggling writers who are looking to kick their productivity into overdrive. Also, we’ve just tapped some of our rockstar members to help us judge the submissions. Check out who will be reading your work here.
Here’s what last year’s winner, Omar Singer, had to say about his experience.
Here’s member Katie Arnoldi’s summation of the space.
Think of this as your very own writer’s retreat right here in the city!
Here’s what we need from you:
- An email with your contact information: Full name, phone, and email address. We will contact the winner via email.
- In the body of the email, please explain why you need this fellowship and what you hope to gain from it. (200 words or less, please)
- A 10 page .pdf writing sample of your work. Attach this to the email. Your best 10 pages. Do not submit pages that need to be set up or explained. Send 10 pages that stand alone. Only pdf submissions. All other attachments will be deleted.
Email to: theOfficeFellowship(at)gmail(dot)com by March 15, 2014. That’s it. You’re done!
Some important points to remember:
- The field is open to ALL new writers. Submit 10 pages of your screenplay, play, short story, novel, memoir, poem, etc. We’ll read it all.
- By “new writers” we mean you can have no feature film credits as a writer on IMDb (short films are okay) and no more than 1 hour of television credit as a writer on IMDb. For fiction writers, we just want to make sure you’re not someone with a three book deal and money to spare. Key words here are new/aspiring/struggling.
- DEADLINE to enter is March 15th, 2014. No submissions accepted past midnight PST.
- You must have sole writing credit for the sample pages you submit. This fellowship is for one (1) free membership and is non-transferrable.
- If you have any questions, please comment here or email the fellowship gmail address listed above. theOffice staff will NOT be able to assist you so please DO NOT call, email, or drop by theOffice with questions.
- If you’ve never been to theOffice and would like to try it out before submitting, please do! You’re welcome to do the free WEEK PASS. Just be sure to call first for availability. Contact info here. More photos of the space here. Again, staff will not handle contest queries.
- Winner will be announced and notified by March 31st.
- Lastly, do your research on theOffice. Don’t submit if you’re not local, if you’re not sure you’ll be available, if you don’t like writing in a room with others. We want this to be of major value to the winner. Serious submissions only please.
This fellowship is an opportunity to take your craft and your career to the next level. If you are looking for a place to be inspired, a place to write with the big guns, a place to GET IT DONE, submit now. We look forward to reading your work!
*theOffice is closed to ALL members Mondays 6PM-11PM, Saturdays 8AM-10AM, Sundays 8AM-10:30AM due to outside rentals. Otherwise, the space is yours.
12 thoughts on “CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: 2014 Fellowship to theOffice”
I think it’s fantastic that you guys do this! I wish I was closer to the space to submit.
Thanks Amanda. Swing by the next time you’re in the neighborhood.
Would title page be counted as among the ten? Or should I cut the title page and just send the ten pages? Thanks
No need to send the title page, Samuel.
I write poetry and am working on a couple of short stories but, ahem, let’s just say this would be a Godsend. Must it be a full 10 pages or up to 10, I.e several poems?
It should be 10 pages of material, Bernadette. If you don’t have 10 pages of poetry, perhaps you want to include a segment of one of your short stories.
Do you consider 10 pages of prose 10 pages double-spaced or single-spaced?
We’ll accept both.
Cool. Thank you!